Sunday, October 21, 2007

Busy weekend


I had a busy weekend doing yard work. Saturday morning I got a truck load of dirt and unloaded it, a 5 gallon bucket at a time, into the backyard. After that I planted several things I had bought recently including a pink butterfly bush and a wisteria vine plus I transplanted the Amur maple tree into its new location. I also went by Missouri Botanical where I bought some daffodil bulbs at the Daffodil Society bulb sale and then went to a local garden center to buy some more. This morning I planted those bulbs along with some I had ordered plus some more I picked up at Home Depot this morning. All told I planted about 50 tulips (yellow in one area & pink-ish in another), around 100 daffodil bulbs (4 kinds in different areas) and about 70 allium bulbs (a mix of species in a bed I dug this morning in front). I also planted pansies above the tulip bulbs (white w the yellow and yellow with the pink), a flat of lirope with the alliums, some English ivy with some of the daffodils, and some sedum with a different patch of daffidils. I also planted some mums with the alliums and lirope – the mums are a sort of placeholder for another plant (Seven Sons Tree) I hope to find & plant in the spring.

This afternoon I went to my friend Kelly’s and we (along with her son Sam) shopped for Halloween costumes and bought pumpkins which we carved. I also baked up the pumpkin seeds and she fixed a wonderful “lunner” (lunch/dinner – like brunch). The photo above is my pumpkin – I am using a LCD light instead of a candle. I think if I can find some red colored Saran wrap it might look cooler – instead I put the light in a Ziploc bag to protect it from the pumpkin innards.

It is supposed to cool off and rain some more this week – sounds lovely to me. I am planning/hoping to get two more loads of dirt this coming weekend and I hope that is enough so I can either buy some sod or plant some grass. I am leaning towards buying sod as Jack will be able to run around on that without getting overly dirty – if it rains the backyard is off-limits to him until it dries out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home